Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, if you’ve a ready mind, Where those of wit and learning, Will always find their kind. // The Sorting Hat, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
This is part of a series I’m doing on each of the Hogwarts’ houses! You can check out Hufflepuff and Slytherin in previous posts (Gryffindor is coming soon!).
I’m a Hufflepuff, but I think I could have also been a Ravenclaw. Most people call them the “smart house.” But they are soooo much more than just that! Ravenclaws have a lot of traits that make them awesome, so let’s celebrate them!
Image from Pottermore.com
- Ravenclaws are wise. Your ‘claws are going to be the ones who think things through before doing them. They probably aren’t going to be the spontaneous ones since they make sure what they’re doing is a good idea first. They can use their critical thinking skills to ensure that things run smoothly.
- Ravenclaws are creative. This isn’t to say that your other houses aren’t, but Ravenclaws are most likely to be the artists, musicians, poets, and writers of the world. They can readily engage this area of their brains, making them a great person to go to when you need a fresh look at something. They can think outside of the box, allowing new ideas in.
- Ravenclaws are curious. Are all ‘claws going to be super smart? Probably not. But all Ravenclaws love learning. Whether that’s an academic subject or just something that they love. They naturally want to know all about everything! They’re the students that want to know “why” and “how”- not just “this is the way to do it.”
- Ravenclaws are cunning. This is a trait they share with Slytherins! Because they have great critical thinking skills, they are able to make some great plans. You’ll want to know some Ravenclaws when you’re trying to come up with the best way to do something, the best way to save money, or the best way to accomplish something.
- Ravenclaws are observant. Usually introverted, Ravenclaws are always watching the world around them. They might not say anything in a conversation, but you can bet they’re listening and learning constantly. They’ll notice if you’re having a bad day. You can bet they’ll know if you’ve worn the same pair of pants for the past week. They’ll be able to pick out the mistakes in a program or article.
- Ravenclaws are eccentric. Now, not every Ravenclaw is going to be a Luna. But because Ravenclaws are so creative and wise, they often don’t let the opinions of others rule what they do. This means they often march to their own beat. They don’t do something just because it’s the “normal” thing to do.
Just like with all of the houses, these traits aren’t just for Ravenclaws! I’ve met tons of creative Hufflepuffs, eccentric Gryffindors, and observant Slytherins. The Sorting Hat takes your desires into mind!
Image from Pottermore.com
Are you a Ravenclaw? What about this list fits you? What doesn’t? Anything you’d add? Let me know in the comments!
Or perhaps in Slytherin, You’ll make your real friends, These cunning folks use any means to achieve their ends. // The Sorting Hat, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
This is part of a series I’m doing on each of the Hogwarts’ houses! You can check out Hufflepuff here (Ravenclaw and Gryffindor coming soon!)
Slytherins get a lot of bad rap- mostly because of our boy Draco Malfoy and many of the Death Eaters. Oh, and maybe because He Who Must Not Be Named himself was in that house. But a few bad apples don’t ruin the whole bunch! I’m here to tell you 6 reasons why Slytherins are super awesome.
- Slytherins are ambitious. If you need something done or want something desperately- the Slytherins are your friends! They aren’t going to let something they want slip through their grasp. They’ll work their tails off until they get it. Nothing is too hard for them!
- Slytherins are cunning. The snake isn’t the mascot for Slytherin house on coincidence! Slytherins cook up plans that are almost fool-proof every time. They can read between the lines and find the loop-holes in almost everything. Slytherins aren’t going to let a few snags get in their way!
- Slytherins are resourceful. They aren’t wasting time or money willy-nilly because they can’t make up their mind. They’re going to plan out what’s needed and find the best deals to make it happen. If you’re having a party, you’ll definitely need to look up your nearest Slytherin for help. They’ll make sure it’s the best it can be (remember they’re ambitious!), but also make sure it’s not going to break the bank if it doesn’t have to.
- Slytherins are leaders. Slytherins are the ones you can look up to. They’re the ones taking the ship by the wheel when everyone else is floating in the breeze. They’re going to stand tall for their beliefs- no matter what. You might even call them traditionalists! They’re that solid rock that we all need in our lives.
- Slytherins have charisma. People are drawn to Slytherins. They just have something about them! They have big personalities that make people appreciate what they have to offer. They’re going to draw people in.
- Slytherins are disciplined. Once a Slytherin makes up his/her mind about something, they’ll stick to it. Starting a new workout plan? The Slytherin isn’t going to quit three days into it. Trying to get on the honor roll? The Slytherin is going to study every day for it. Looking for a job promotion? The Slytherin is going to be the best employee he/she can be. They’re not quitters.
Obviously, these traits aren’t just for Slytherins! There are plenty of charismatic Ravenclaws, disciplined Hufflepuffs, and resourceful Gryffindors. The Sorting Hat listens to your desires, so you can be in whichever house you feel like is the best fit!
What house do you belong in? Do you have any other ways that Slytherins are amazing? I’d love to hear about them in the comments!