You might belong in Hufflepuff, Where they are just and loyal, Those patient Hufflepuffs are true, And unafraid of toil; // The Sorting Hat, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
Today is an unofficial (but official on social media) Hufflepuff pride day! It’s also the first day of spring which seems pretty fitting to me! (Although, as a Hufflepuff, I’m more autumn-leaning!)
Hufflepuffs don’t seem to get a lot of respect, and they’re often pinned as the weak ones or the “leftover” house. When I took the test on Pottermore, I was honestly sorely disappointed to get Hufflepuff. I would have gladly taken anything else. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized I really was a Hufflepuff, and we Puffs are pretty awesome.
- Hufflepuffs are loyal. Insult a Puff (and while they may be a little upset for a while), they won’t hold it against you. They’re forgiving and understanding. We tend to look for the positives in people. We’re not going to let a silly misunderstanding, a lack of judgment, or hormones change how we feel about you.
- Hufflepuffs are hard-working. People often see us as just hanging around the Herbology greenhouses or stuffing our faces with cookies. While we might do this occasionally, we are driven people. Give us a task that we enjoy, and we will spend all of our time, resources, and mental strength on it. We don’t do things halfheartedly.
- Hufflepuffs are creative. This is true about all of the houses really, but I think we Puffs are pretty good at it. Since we see the world in a different light, we can use our imaginations at a whole new level. Who is the person daydreaming in class? It’s most likely a Hufflepuff. Who’s that person frantically jotting down that story idea on the bus? Probably a Puff. Who’s spending their weekend working on a new piece of art? You got it, probably a Hufflepuff.
- Hufflepuffs are kind. This goes along with being loyal- we’re going to stand up for you no matter what. We look out for the little guy. We make friends with the ones who don’t have any. It’s almost like we have a radar for those people who might be unloved. Need a friend? Hufflepuffs are there for you!
- Hufflepuffs are cozy. We’re not the party-ers. We’re not the daring adventurers. We’re not running around like crazy trying to get things done. In fact, you’ll probably have to push and prod to get us out of the house to a big gathering. Most of us are introverts, which mean we recharge by being alone. After a long day at work or school, we’re going to be found reading a book with a cup of tea. We’re going to be on a walk in the woods. We’re going to be snuggled by the fire. It doesn’t mean we don’t like loud gatherings, but they can be overwhelming. So if you need someone to just sit quietly with you, look up your closest Hufflepuff.
- Hufflepuffs are good listeners. We’re usually not trying to be the center of attention. If you’ve got a problem, we’ll listen. We might not be able to solve it, but we’ll definitely be there for you. We’ll give you a shoulder to cry on. We’ll smile and nod. We’ll make you a cup of coffee to warm your soul.
Obviously, many of these traits can be found in other houses too! I know super kind Slytherins, Ravenclaws who love to listen, and Gryffindors who are so creative! The great thing about your Hogwarts house is that you can have all of these traits and belong to whatever house you’d like- because the Sorting Hat always takes your opinions into consideration!
I’d love to know what house you belong to! Do you think there are some other ways that Hufflepuffs are amazing? What are some characteristics that make YOU amazing? Comment below!
(And don’t worry if you’re not a Puff- I’ll be blogging about ALL of the houses in the future!)