Yesterday was International Women’s Day. Being a woman is such an amazing privilege, and I’m so thankful God created me as one!
I wanted to take today’s post and celebrate some (I wish I could celebrate all!) of the amazing fictional women who’ve inspired me to become a better person. This list is in NO WAY complete, and is definitely not in order of importance!
- Luna Lovegood: Luna is simply amazing. I don’t think this list could be complete without her. She’s kind, she’s brave, she’s confident. Isn’t that something we all should strive for? So thank you, Luna, for helping me learn that it’s okay to be different!
- Eleven (a.k.a. Jane Ives): Stranger Things captured the hearts of Americans when it first debuted, and El instantly became a favorite of mine. She had a rough life, but yet she overcame it. She built friendships, sacrificed herself more than once, and discovered herself through it all. So thanks, El, for showing me what true friendship is all about!
- Hermione Granger: Who can forget the brightest witch of her age? Hermione inspired so many young girls to be smart AND brave. And she told us that the most important is friendship and bravery. So, here’s to Hermione, who taught me that being smart is great- as long as I’m still a friend!
- Princess Leia Organa: This princess doesn’t need saving! Leia showed us that you’re never too young to stand up for what’s right. From working as a senator, to becoming a leader in the rebellion against the Empire, to leading the resistance against the First Order as general, Leia proved that women can make a difference! Thank you, princess, for showing me that doing the right thing is ALWAYS the right thing!
- Katniss Everdeen: When her world was falling apart, Katniss showed us that family is the most important thing. Her strength and resilience through the hard times gave us hope when things are tough. So thanks, girl on fire, for being a light in the darkness!
- Rey: This girl from Jakku showed us that no matter your background, you can do great things. It doesn’t matter if you’re nothing and come from nothing- you have the power to change the world- as long as you believe there’s still some hope and good in it. Thank you, Rey, for showing me that anyone can do anything!
- Meg Murry: With a Wrinkle in Time coming out today, this list had to include dear Meg! Meg showed us that being different is okay. You don’t have to fit into the mold. And that love conquers all evil. So thanks, Meg, for being a warrior for love!
- Ahsoka Tano: While we have only met her cartoon version (so far!), Ahoska is a shining beacon for courage and love in a dark galaxy. She was never afraid to step up to do the right thing. She was willing to put her life on the line for a cause she believed in. Thank you, Fulcrum, for helping us to see what really matters in life!
- Lucy Pevensie: Queen Lucy the Valiant taught us that kindness is always the answer. Even when her own family didn’t believe her, Lucy didn’t give up. Even when her friend and brother betrayed her, she didn’t stop being kind. So thank you, Lucy, for teaching us that kindness is always the best way.
There are so many other amazing fictional ladies I could mention- Padmé Amidala, Jyn Erso, Tina and Queenie Goldstein, Molly Weasley, Ginny Weasley, Elizabeth Bennett, Éowyn, Jo March, Professor McGonagall, Anne Shirley, Laura Ingalls, Wonder Woman, and so many more!
I’d love to hear about your favorite fictional ladies! Who inspires you to do great things?